|??||??||The Spirit Stone Slumbers|
Nue is a Boss in Nioh. This is the fourth Boss that players will encounter. The player will have to face this yokai in order to proceed with the game.
Possesses a monkey's face, a tiger's torso, and snake for a tail, Nue is a fearsome creature of lightning. In addition to mauling prey with its claws, its roar can summon bolts of lightning, almost as if Nue itself were an embodiment of thunderstorms.
Pronounced New-ay. A yokai chimaera. Its fanged mouth terrorizes its prey with an eerie cry. Nue is wreathed in dark smoke, making it diffcult to discern its overall appearance. Its ability to summon thunder has earned it the alternate name of Raiju, the thunder-beast.
Possesses a monky's face, a tiger's torso, and snake for a tail. Its mane is quilled and sharp enough to cut any who approach, In addition to fierce claw and fang attacks, it can hurl itself bodily with enough force to smash a stone wall. There are many legends of Nue appearing in Japan, unleashing lightning and causing all sorts of disasters.
One legend holds that a fearsome cry heralded the appearance of a Nue over the royal palace in Kyoto every night, draining the young emperor of vitality. No medicine could cure him, but after the samurai Minamoto Yorimasa was felled the Nue with an arrow, the emperor recovered at once. Yorimasa was bestowed with a beautiful sword called Shishi-Oh, King of lions, as a reward.
- Kyushu Region Main Mission "The Spirit Stone Slumbers" Level 19 - To access the boss, a heavy door must be opened after going around the broken bridges in the garden.
- Kinki Region Main Mission "The Demon of Mount Hiei" Level 62 - Seen roaming in a pit shortly before the White Tiger's boss room, which Nekomata will comment on. Optional.
- Dojo Training Mission "A Greater Harmony" Level 100 - End of the mission, after fighting a pair of Sentries and a Lightning Onyudo.
- Omi Region Sub Mission "Master of the Twin Blades" Level 117 - End of the mission. Requires completing Dual Swords Master Mission "The Grimmest Blades".
- Omi Region Main Mission "The Demon King Revealed" Level 135 - Part of the quartet of Bosses that need to be fought to unlock the elevator.
- Omi Region Sub Mission "Tea-Time Entertainment" Level 145 - Fought alongside a Raven Tengu, with another Tengu appearing once the Nue's health is low.
- Siege of Osaka (Summer) Sub Mission "Guardian in the Shadows" Level 237 - End of the mission, with Yoki periodically spawning. Fought with the help of Fuku. BE
- Amrita: ??
- Co-Op Amrita: ??
- Nue Mask
- Nue's Claw
- Officer's Spear
- Warlord Armor (H): Kabuto
- Bizen Ichimonji
- Archer Garb: Kote
- Warlord Armor (H): Hizayoroi
- Platemail Armor (M): Kote
- Health: ??
- Ki: ??
- Stay near its middle body, blocking, wait for him to do area attacks
- Dodge deadly Lightning summons, he does 4 in a row at times. Use lightning resistance amulets or effects.
- Weak to water, use water talismans and salt for purification
- Lungs light up when using lightning attacks. Attacking them while lit drains all stamina and stuns Nue for a brief period.
- Runs out of stamina and becomes available for critical hits
- Twilight: Y/N, different attacks?
Only Youtube Partners can place videos. Embeds from FL channel only - please add your link below if you're a partner
- Example Video Link
- Example Video Link
Strategy 1 (Melee)
An effective method against Nue is to use a spear and/or low stance. Wait for it to initiate its lightning or poison attacks and then quickly dodge to the left of its head. Then attack with some quick combos. While breathing lightning Nue can not defend itself and is open for more attacks. Eventually as you damage Nue, its ki will drain leaving it briefly vulnerable for you to dish out some pain. You may consider conserving your Guardian Spirit for this exact moment to finish the job.
Get behind his front right leg - this is a massive weak spot for him as his claw attacks cannot hit you, and he frequently uses the claw attack and lightning breath when you are in this placement. You will have to run away from his lightning summons and block his tail swipe, but then you can immediately run back behind his front right leg. You should be between his two right legs and you will be able to almost constantly spam attacks.
Strategy 2 (Magic)
Main Mission: A detailed Strategy goes here. It should feature details on the build, level and recommended weapons and items as well as counters for specific attacks.
Sub Mission: The strategy for this mob is the same as in the main mission.
Strategy 3 (Kusurigama)
Use high stance only. There are two trees in the boss room, one either side of Nue, and you need to keep one between you and him at all times. When Nue does his lightning breath attack, run to his left side around the tree and hit him with the ball toss of the kusurigama then retreat. Repeat this process only when he does lighting breath or he leaps at you and falls on his side. It can also be done when he rolls but it is more risky. Only leave the tree to dodge his lightning strikes by rolling or running fast in one direction then move again to the trees. Do not try hit Nue more than once with a ball toss of the kusurigama, he will do a swipe attack that does a lot of damage or he will do a tail spin.
Nue Twilight Strategy
A detailed Strategy goes here. It should feature details on the build, level and recommended weapons and items as well as counters for specific attacks.
Nue has two attack phases. In the first phase, ??. In the second Phase, ??
|Lightning Strikes||After shaking it's body, Nue rears back and then a series of four successive lighting strikes hit the ground. The strikes follow the player, so keep moving to avoid them. Each strike leave behind a yokai realm that hurts you ki recovery speed when you stand in it. Players may also simply stand near the arena's entrance, as the overhead structure will stop the lightning from hitting William.|
|Sweeping Lightning Beam||Nue's mouth and eyes glow yellow before it spits out a beam of electricty and sweeps it across the battlefield. Circling around and attacking it's glowing stomach will immediately stagger the beast|
|Spin||Nue spins it's body around in a 360-degree circle, damaging anyone nearby. Typically triggered when William is immediately behind or to the side of the creature|
|Tail Whip||A quick succession of two tail whips. Fast start-up but short range|
|Poison Cloud||A stream of poison is spewed from Nue's tail, damaging anyone in front of it|
|Claw Swipe||Two claw swipes. Each swipe can be dodged with proper timing.|
|Roll||Rears up on its hind legs, then somersaults forwards, leaving a trail of lightning strikes behind it.|
|Pounce||Nue jumps forward at the player. Moderate range. After attacking, Nue will fall over, exposing it's stomach|
|Recovery||After being at zero ki for a while, Nue roars to replenish its ki and summons two lightning strikes; one at its location and one right in front of it. The one that strikes in front of it can deal massive damage and kill players even at full health.|
Yokai Lore & History
鵺: Nue - "Night Bird" (Unknown bird, strange bird). These Yokai of Japanese Folklore have the head of a monkey, the body of a Japanese Racoon (tanuki), the tail of a snake, and the limbs of a tiger. They, however, produce a sound such as a bird.
To understand more about the period of history please see our Lore page.
Legend says that around 1153, Emperor Konoe fell ill in Kyoto, thrashing in nightmares. As lightning struck the Imperial Residence, the Emperor summoned the samurai Minamoto no Yorimasa, who then used his archery skills to struck down a flying beast from the sky said to be a Nue. The emperor returned to health immediately, but the citizens of Kyoto feared the beast's curse and sent its corpse down the river. The burial boat arrived at Hyogo Prefecture, and the villagers there gave a proper funeral and burial to the beast. People travelling to Nuezuka in Matsuhama Park in Hyogo may visit the alledged burial mound to this very day.
Notes & Trivia
- Voice Actors, if any
- Similarities to other titles
- Bugs and glitches associated to this boss