Status Effects in Nioh are elemental effects and status ailments that may be used by William, NPCs and Enemies. All types of elemental damage cause a status effect to build up, while poisoning or paralysing weapons cause Poisoning or Paralysis to build up. This build up can be viewed in the form of a meter. Once the meter is full the status effect is activated. By inflicting further build up - before the meter drops to zero - you will prolong the duration of the status effect. Specific enemies are weak or resistant to specific status effects, Nue for instance is resistant to both Lightning damage and Lightning Paralysis.
Certain Items like talismans can apply a buff to your Weapons which allows you to inflict these status effects. Applying an status effect to your weapon overrides the weapon's innate status build up or elemental damage if it has one. At any time, It's also only possible to have one active weapon buff. Higher amounts of elemental damage inflict more status build up, making use of rapid hits also increases the speed at which the status effect builds up.
Elemental Effects Information
Status effects can be classified in two categories: elemental effects and status ailments. The main difference between them is that elemental effects deal direct elemental damage on hit as well as filling the corresponding status meter, wile status ailments don't. Each elemental effect is identified by a different colour. Elemental effects are the following: Fire (red), Water (blue), Lightning (yellow), Earth (purple) and Wind (green).
Certain Enemies are weak/resistant to certain elements. As a result, they will take more/less damage from those elements, and the status effect will be triggered faster/slower.
- Causes damage over time
- Duration of effect can be shortened by dodging and rolling
- Indicated by flames lingering on the affected target
- Slows attack speed and movement
- Stacks with Sloth Talisman effect
- Indicated by arcs of electricity covering the affected target
- Increases Physical damage received by about 20%
- Indicated by a blue mist surrounding the affected target
- Lowers target's Physical Attack power, weakens their ability to block attacks
- Indicated by faint traces of green energy swirling around the affected target
- When you stack 2 elemental status effects on a foe, they are inflicted with Confusion. Confused Yokai stagger with every attack taken. When the status is applied to humans they become severely slowed and recover Ki much more slowly. All enemies take more damage while the status is in effect.
- Confused is indicated by a Yin Yang symbol on the HUD, and is visually represented by a red and black haze emanating from the affected target
Status Ailments Information
Non-elemental status ailments work similarly to elemental ones. However, status ailments do not cause direct damage on hit.
- Damage over time. Lasts longer and deals more damage than fire. Note that poison only causes damage as a status effect and cannot be dealt directly.
- Coats the player in a terrible stench that stuns them after they ingest any usable medicine, elixirs, ninjutsu items, etc. Player becomes unable to move for 3 seconds or until hit by enemy
- Can be removed by coating yourself in water (look for and smash barrels without grime on their lid)