This is a player-created Build for Nioh.
- Build Name: Onmyo Swordsman
- Build Level: ~30. Upgraded version needs different gear.
- Build Focus: PvE solo & Co-Op
- Build Main Stat: Heart, Spirit and Magic
- Guardian Spirit: Isonade (You can swap in other Spirit-focused Guardians)
- Melee Weapon: Raikiri
- Ranged Weapon: Warrior of the West Bow
- Head: Preorder bonus for early game The Red of Devotion
- Chest: Preorder bonus for early game The Red of Devotion
- Hands: Preorder bonus for early game The Red of Devotion
- Legs: Preorder bonus for early game The Red of Devotion
- Accessories: Dancer's Fan, Omamori Charm / Swap in others per boss
- Items: Elixir, Sacred Water, Salt, Kayaku-dama, Horoku-dama, Onmyo Magic
This is a starter build to make the first few areas easier. The build peaks once you obtain Raikiri at the end of Kyushu, but is viable moving forward. You will start out with the pre-order bonus armor The Red of Devotion set, and find a sword that provides beneficial stats. You can use the Reforge option at the Blacksmith to get the desired traits on your sword. Once you are level 20, Forge yourself a new set of Red of Devotion armor, adding in blue materials to ensure you get extra benefits. Reforge any bad traits.
Traits to aim for: Mid Attack Life Recovery, Close Combat Health Recovery, Attack Effect (Spirit), Enemies Defeated Damage Bonus, Mid Attack Damage, Skill Damage, Yokai Close Combat Damage, Mid Guard Ki Usage, Guard Ki Usage, Mid Attack Break, Mid Attack Ki Usage, Close Combat Attack Ki Usage
Skills: Focus on unlocking Mid Stance and Low Stance skills first, invest on the Swords tree only for now. You also need to go to the Ninjutsu tree and unlock Sneak Attack. Save most of your Onmyo points until you can unlock the Dojo missions for Onmyo magic. Now get: Lifeseal Talisman: I, Weakness Talisman: I, Devigorate Talisman: I. You are doing this because you will later be able to unlock the most powerful magic in the game Talisman: Sloth I. Next up, Pure Mind: I, Guardian Spirit Talisman: I.
Playstyle: This is a slow-and-steady build. You will die very little, if you are patient with your attacks. I completed all of Kyushu including Twilight missions with 3 deaths, all of them at Nue.
- Sneak attack whenever possible
- Block, block, DASH! (regenerate Ki Pulses from Dashes)
- Counter is more often just 2 hits, then back to block. If you want to go for the full 4 hits, ensure you have a skill for your final blow so you maximize damage
- Yokai strategy = use Salt to remove their stamina, then critical hit them. You can also start Yokai fights with an arrow to the head for an easy advantage. Use Ki Pulse as often as you can master to do a Purification.
- Heavy enemies = Dodge to the side and wait for the end of a 3-hit combo. This is your window
- Bosses = Use your projectiles and your dodge/block at the start. Learn the enemy pattern. Stay close to your enemy when possile, dashing in and out of AOE range but without wasting your Ki. After 50% use a debuff talisman on the boss and use your Guardian Spirit (Triangle and Circle), then use your Guardian Spirit summon (Triangle and Circle again). Slash away at close range for maximum impact.
- Muneshige fight = Use the rock to kite, and bring Spirit Talismans. You will use your Isonade to knock Muneshige down, and then get a critical.